Book 81, 2026
Sep. 22nd, 2026 09:11 pm
Firestorm by Nancy HolznerMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
View all my reviews
I stayed up about half an hour past bedtime to finish reading Firestorm, which is the 6th and last book in author Nancy Holzner’s “Deadtown” urban fantasy series. The main character is Victory “Vicky” Vaughn, a shapeshifter whom prophecy indicates is instrumental in the upcoming battle of good versus evil.
As demonic attacks in the Boston area increase, they’re a sign that the impending war between the forces of hell and the human realm is fast approaching. As a demon slayer, Vicky will be on the front lines, but according to prophecy, she will play an integral part in the battle. Long ago, a Hellion marked her as its own, and more recently Vicky allowed Ceridwen, goddess-mother of her shape-shifting species, to inhabit her body. Now the demon and the goddess are vying for control of Vicky and she just wants them both gone. With the final showdown quickly approaching, Vicky will need all the allies and weapons she can get to save not only the world, but herself as well.
It’s been forever since I read the 5th book in the series. This last one was delayed due to the author’s family emergency, which she addressed at the conclusion of the story. Things came back to me easily enough, and I was quickly engrossed in the story. I do feel the ending was somewhat rushed, but I’ll forgive that considering the circumstances. Characters were portrayed well. The plot was a tad choppy, but it pelted along and held my attention. The ending was satisfying, and I am sad that it truly was the ending for the series.
Favorite lines:
♦ There’s nothing quite like a sanctimonious glare from a teetotaling zombie.
♦ I’d never be able to show my face in the Zone again. Not until I got rid of Our Lady of Bar Brawls.
♦ At this moment, the number-one item on my to-do list was removing the temptation to commit murder.
Very good, four stars